Email Marketing and Choosing the Best Service
What is email marketing?
Email marketing allows you to build and enhance credibility. Moreover, it is highly effective in making people like your brand, trust your company, and check your business’ services even when they don’t need them. It has the capability to help you expand your reach on multiple geographies and demographics at a time and help sell to audiences who may as well never have heard of your product.
A few benefits of email marketing are:
- Increase repeat visits: Over 70% of website visitors abandoning your website will never return. When you build an email list, you can build a connection with your visitors by collecting their email addresses and sending them valuable content.
- Build a loyal following: Repeat visitors are more likely to convert into customers, compared to first-time visitors. In fact, studies show that it takes 3-4 visits to your website for your potential customers to actually think of doing business with you.
- Increase sales: Email conversions outperform both social and organic search traffic. So if you’re looking to make sales, then you’ll need to start email marketing.
While social media platforms have taken modern businesses by storm and offer distinct advantages in the marketing world, email marketing still remains supreme when it comes to closing deals. Emails serve as a two-way street for learning more about your clients’ needs and strengthening relationships with them–two tasks that can be a bit tougher to achieve on a social platform.
Isn’t Email Marketing Dated?
It is indeed old, but it doesn’t mean it’s ineffective. In fact, its maturity can be a strong indication that it’s here to stay. Look at the following pros:
- Lifespan: Consider MySpace, Google+ or what happened to Vero (if you’ve even heard of them at all). Social media platforms can come and go. An email address? People tend to hang on to the same one for an average of 10 years.
- Data insights: Facebook and other social media tools are primarily advertising platforms. The data on their users is a goldmine they aren’t willing to share. With email marketing, you control everything you get to know about your users.
- Flexibility: once you’ve got your address list, it’s easy to switch providers. All you need is to export/ import the list via CSV.
- Ease of use: 10 years ago? Those systems were complex beasts. Today, it takes two seconds to integrate a sign up form, create a template and email everyone. It will certainly be faster to send your first newsletter than to create an ad campaign on Facebook or Twitter.
As you can see, email marketing is still a robust and reliable workhorse. And as we mentioned in the last point above, the platforms are increasingly easy to use for complete beginners. Best of all, several of them come with free plans so you can test the waters before spending money on the solution.
How to Choose the Best Email Marketing Service?
Finding the best email marketing services, can be a tough task. Email marketing drives the core component of any business out there. It enables them to connect with their users and build trust. The end goal is to convert them into customers. Just because an email marketing company is popular doesn’t always mean that it’s the best solution for your needs. It’s easy to get overwhelmed with different choices since there are dozens of email marketing solutions on the market. That’s why we’re going to break it all down for you!
Here are a few basic things you’ll need to focus on when choosing an email marketing service:
- Ease of use: It’s important that the email marketing service you choose is easy to use and works with your business.
- Functionality – does this tool do everything you need it to do and do it to an acceptable – for your needs – standard? e.g. Automations, tagging, CRM, reporting, etc.
- Scalability – will it continue to be able to do the things your business requires as you grow, or will it present a bottleneck at scale?
- Extensibility – Are you able to “extend” the tool via native and 3rd party integrations with other important apps in your stack? Does the tool have a strong API that invites developers to craft solutions to common problems (e.g. membership plugins that work directly with the API and tags system)?
- Automation: Almost all services out there allow you to automate your email campaigns, but each one does it in a different way. Take a look at how different tools automate your campaigns and figure out if they help solve your needs.
- Industry: Some services are aimed at serving certain industries only. For example, ConvertKit was built specifically with publishers in mind. If that doesn’t describe you, then you’ll have to sign up for a service that better addresses your industry requirements.
- Pricing: Obviously, the tool you choose must fit your budget.
To help you find one that works for you, we’ve listed the best email marketing tools for small, medium, and large businesses, with a detailed overview of how they can be helpful to you: Best Email Marketing Services for 2019